The seventh CS3 (Chemical Sciences and Society Summit), with the theme of Solar Energy & Photonics for a Sustainable Future , was held in Dalian, China, from September 5th to 8th, organized by Chinese Chemical Society
The CS3 initiative is a collaboration between the Chinese Chemical Society (CCS), the German Chemical Society (GDCh), the Chemical Society of Japan (CSJ), the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) and the American Chemical Society (ACS). The symposia are supported by the National Science Foundation of China (NSFC), the German Research Foundation (DFG), the Japan Science & Technology Agency (JST), the UK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), and the USA National Science Foundation (NSF).
By design, each meeting in the CS3 series, hosted in turn by each of the organizing countries, is to focus on a particular key societal challenge, as mutually identified by meeting organizers, and the role of chemical research in addressing the challenge.
Japanese delegates to CS3 2017 are:
- Kazunari Domen; the leader of Japanese delegates (The University of Tokyo)
- Ryu Abe; presenter of Subtheme #1 (Kyoto University)
- Hiroko Yamada; presenter of Subtheme #2 (Nara Institute of Science and Technology)
- Nobuhiro Yanai; presenter of Subtheme #3 (Kyusyu University)
- Shuhei Seki; Keynote speaker for Subtheme #4 (Kyoto University)
- Yoshinori Nishikitani; supervisor for comprehensive area (Waseda University)
- Tetsuya Ito (Center for Research and Development Strategy Japan Science and Technology Agency)
- Mitsuo Sawamoto (Chubu University, CSJ Executive Director)
The summit theme "Solar Energy & Photonics for a Sustainable Future" included four sub-themes below.
- Artificial Photosynthesis and CO2 Reduction
- New PV Materials with Abundant Elements
- Photonic Materials and Photon Upconversion
- Photofuntional Materials and Structures for Light Manipulation
CS3 facilitated vibrant discussions on each of subthemes based on practical problems such as domestic situation, environmental problems, and other related issues in order to find effective solutions to these problems.
After the CS3 meeting, they will stay in touch with each other to complete the final whitepaper by around the end of this year.
After the final whitepaper is to be released, CSJ will announce it as the achievement of this 7th CS3 on the occasion of the special joint event together with all of the Japanese delegates at the next year's 98th CSJ Annual Meeting in Funabashi, Japan.
Come and join our biggest meeting ➡ the 98th annual meeting
Next CS3 is scheduled to be held in 2019 and will be organized by the ACS.